ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Harris has a wide range of experience in Wichita government, business, industry, education and civic affairs. He does not have any particular, specific commercial or private stake in these affairs -- just those of other average citizens. He provides civic affairs information solely as a public service.
Harris is a business and technical consultant, specializing in technical, industrial, and trades businesses (the people who fix, make and build things), and disadvantaged business enterprises (minority- and women-owned businesses). He also provides some services to media, educators and civic leaders. He is not closely tied to any specific business or industry, but has a strong background in aviation.
Additionally, Harris is a former (long ago) minor city official, formerly involved with urban planning issues, and has been involved with various civic, technical and business organizations. He is not currently affiliated with any of the key participants in these issues, is not associated with any government agency, major urban developer, or commercial trade organization (and is not running for office).
For clarification, Harris does have these former civic roles in his background:
Wichita City Government (1970s-1990s):
- former Commissioner: Wichita Traffic Commission;
- former Commissioner: Wichita Civil Rights / EEO Commission;
former Elected Representative: Community Action Councils (CAC),
Community Action Agency (CAA) (city/federal program), and...:
- former Chair: Eastside Community Action Council;
- former Vice Chair: Northeast Community Action Council;
- former Vice Chair: Central Coordinating Council;
- former Elected Representative: Citzens' Participation Org. (CPO), and...:
- former Chair: Area-K Council,
- former Vice Chair: Central Coordinating Council
- former Secretary: Employment, Housing & Development Committee,
- City of Wichita 4-Year Planning Task Force;
Other Civic Roles (1990s-present):
- former Member, National Panel of Consumer Arbitrators
- former Member, Curriculum Committee, Wichita State University;
- former Member, Tenure & Promotion Committee,
Wichita State University;
- former Member, Public Television Community Advisory Board,
Kansas Public Telecommunications Service;
- former Judge, Aerospace Journalist of the Year Awards,
World Leadership Forum (with Royal Aeronautical Soc.), London;
- former Member, Kansas 150 Speakers Bureau,
Kansas Humanities Council;
- former Advisor, Wichita Flight Festival Board;
- former Chairman, Kansas Aviation Centennial;
- former Member, Wichita Manufacturers' Association;
- former Member, World Trade Council of Wichita.
- Judge, Shocker New Venture Competition,
- Center for Entrepreneurship, Wichita State University
- Member/Contributing Historian, American Aviation Historical Society
- ...and various other minor offices and leadership roles
in civic and technical organizations, and in education.
Harris holds a degree in Business & Communications, with extensive additional coursework, awards and/or certifications in engineering, aviation, computer science, psychology, sociology, economics, international affairs, political science, public administration and law. Harris holds a state teaching certificate in adult education, with a specialty certification in computers, an FAA aeronautical instructor's license, and several other certifications in business, technology & public safety, with experience in all these fields.
Harris provides civic affairs information to encourage Wichita citizens
to participate in the major decisions that shape their communities, and their lives.